13 July 2011

31 Weeks






1. Conversations in our house still go like this

"I am SO tired. I don't understand why I'm so tired."
"You're PREGNANT."
"Yes but why am I always so tired?"
"Because you're GROWING A HUMAN".
"Yes but I just don't understand why I'm so tired".

etc etc.

I still haven't quite figured it out yet. But it looks as though I have to slow things down a bit more, some days I'm ok and some days I'm just too tired to even go and get a glass of water. Coincidentally the baby is now moving more than ever, which is nice, but you know, at 3 in the morning I'd like her to be asleep, instead she is kicking me in the ribs as if to say "hey you boring lame peeps, entertain me". She is also digging her fingers into my sides, which feels really funny. Poke, poke.

2.This ginormous baby blanket will not finish itself. Just a note to self. Neither will the baby quilt, baby mobile, bassinet sheets and clothing. Cough. Cough.

3. From all my baby books I gather than my relationship will implode after the baby arrives - faster than I can say poopy nappy. I don't really think that's going to happen - after 10 years the boat isn't that easily rocked - but the dynamics will most certainly change. It's one of the things I've thought about the most in recent weeks. Just the fact that oddly this little creature is bonding us closer together than ever, and at the same we have to move apart to make room for her. So it's now pre-baby dating time and we are trying to get out for nice dinners, and I like getting nice native flowers occasionally, like these ones.

4. I do not understand how anyone can be of the opinion that having a baby does not require much preparation or thought. It does. And it's not that great when you can't remember any of the preparation necessary, let alone any thoughts. So I am making lists. They are everywhere. And still, I forget to take the lists to the shops, and then I stand there in Ikea, without a clue what I wanted there, and resolve the crisis by eating Ikea carrot cake and Applesinjus and staring into space. And kindly nod towards the other pregnany ladies who are also standing there with their carrot cakes staring into space, thinking exactly the same thoughts as me, I'm sure.

No comments: