23 September 2010

Blood, Sweat and T-Shirts

Hayley posted an interview today and mentioned a BBC documentary called Blood, Sweat and T-Shirts.
I was very excited to hear about this! The BBC sent a couple of cheap fashion addicts to India to experience first hand the conditions in which these clothes are made. I watched some of it and I was very happy that the BBC was brave enough to do this, and obviously also very disturbed. Just a reminder of why I believe in what I believe in. I would really like more information on the manufacturing of fabric overseas - the dyeing and the weaving processes - as I'm sure they are similarly disturbing and it's just as bad sewing your own clothes when using fabrics made in inhumane conditions. If you know of any good resourced, can you email them to me? I can't stop thinking of how cheap it would be for the Targets and Walmarts in this world to provide adequate sewing and production rooms and better salaries for these workers. But I don't like to be preachy, so if you like to take a look at the documentary here!
There are good resources on BBC's  Thread, too!

1 comment:

Jodie said...

Thanks for the link to Blood, Sweat and T-Shirts. I just watched it and it really was disturbing! If only more people in this world cared about where their clothes come from and how they were made...