13 November 2009

Skirt








finished it - what a joy! I spent a few hours working on this one with much concentration. I tried so hard not to rush it, it was hard, but paid off. A few seams were ripped and re-done in the process, I tell ya. Kamikaze-sewing happened a few times.

This skirt was made using the Built By You A-line skirt pattern which is easy and also easy to amend. I lengthened the pattern by about 2 inches and took the side seams in to create a really fitted A-line. I also added some diagonal red - using an old scarf I found in the oppy. I love the cornflower blue and red combination. I love this fabric so much - it's organic cotton bought at Amitie. Totally happy with how this turned out. I made it a wee bit on the small side but I can squeeze myself into it holding my breath.

It definitely has flaws and uneven lines but a handmade piece is never going to look like something bought in a shop. Important lesson for me to learn and important, too, not to let perfectionism ruin the joy of making something.

5 comments:

Cindy said...

I LOVE the skirt, it looks just perfect to me. I was thinking I might get the Built By You, may have to invest in it

JoeyNomad said...

Thanks Cindy! I think the book is worth it- comes with three free patterns for skirt, shirt and pants. I haven't attempted the shirt and pants yet but the skirt I've made about 3 times and love the pattern! Also the book has lots of tricks and stuff for amending patterns - it managed to convince me that not EVERYTHING needs bias binding... :)

JoeyNomad said...

Thanks Cindy! I think the book is worth it- comes with three free patterns for skirt, shirt and pants. I haven't attempted the shirt and pants yet but the skirt I've made about 3 times and love the pattern! Also the book has lots of tricks and stuff for amending patterns - it managed to convince me that not EVERYTHING needs bias binding... :)

Gina said...

Noice work. You could wear it on your next fliiiiighsssshhht.

(Read that and still laughing about it. She must have an Eastern Suburbs accent, hahahaha).

JoeyNomad said...

She does too - graysshhh!