22 April 2010

Windmills


It has been week full of windmills.
My dad has been diagnosed with an incurable form of cancer. I am trying to get home - goodbye volcanic ash cloud. I have to cancel our June wedding and make a shotgun wedding at home happen as fast as possible so that my dad can be at our wedding. But there are good things: how strong our family is, how proud I am of my dad, and how family and friends come together in a time of crisis. I am so thankful for the support we are receiving. But there have been some howling on the floor moments, believe me.

Craft is so important because it settles me into a rhythm. It's a steady thing when everything feels either ridiculously fast or insanely slow. I need the clinking of the knitting needles to remind me that I can tick on just as life ticks on, in the same pace and in sync with it. It sounds dumb, but it's true. Other less soulful remedies include watching episodes of Project Runway (Auf Wiedersehen Heidi) and the Ikea catalogue.

I went to Morris and Sons today and got myself a pair of lovely Knit Pro Synfonie Wood bamboo needles - thanks for the recommendation to switch to bamboo, Sarah. Hopefully that will help the RSI issue.  I would post photos of the things I've been knitting if I had the camera but alas I can't find it - I may post some tomorrow!

6 comments:

One Flew Over said...

Oh Tina. I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad.

Thinking of you x

Georgie Love said...

I am so sorry about everything, especially your papa.

It will still turn out to be a beautiful day that you cherish - more importantly because your dad got to be there.

xxxx

shine little light* said...

Oh gosh, full on news. Best wishes to you in tough times. *s*
ps. I find the Ikea catalogue very soothing too.

Tania said...

Tina, that is awful, terrifying, heartbreaking news. I wish you all the very best through the howl on the floor moments, the perfect shotgun wedding, the time with your Dad. Get home safe, get home soon.

Gina said...

Tina I don't even know what to say... All my love to you. I hope and pray for some time with your Dad, and that you can get the wedding in there. Love, Gina

Leonie Guld said...

I missed this post before but I just wanted to blow you a kiss and wish you all the love and strength in the world. xx